Thursday, July 23, 2015

Five for Friday - Books, Beverages, and Boys!

This is my first Five for Friday post with Doodle Bug Teaching!

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2015/07/five-for-friday-linky-party-july-24th.html

 I am addicted to the Harry Potter franchise:  mainly books, but movies, YouTube clips, clothes, some crafts, just everything!  So I've been re-reading the books this Summer and I'm currently on #6 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  This is probably my favorite book, because I love all the backstory we finally get on He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.


 I'm also re-reading The Indian in the Cupboard.  I haven't read this book in about 5 years, but am wanting to do it as a novel study or literature circle groups this year with my students.  I love to have students read books in a series, or by a respected author, so they can keep reading more by that author.  I am working on a novel study to go with it, and plan to post it to TPT as my first sellable item when I finish!

 
 Thirdly, I'm reading Teach Like a Pirate, by Dave Burgess.  I'm a bit behind the bandwagon on this book, and he's recently come out with his 2nd book Learn Like a Pirate that I will read next.  So far, I'm loving the strategies in this book, I'll make another blog post soon to share my favorites!  If you're on Twitter be sure to follow him @burgessdave (he'll probably even follow you back!), and join his weekly twitter chat via #tlap on Mondays at 9 p.m. EST.


This actually happened last week, but I'm so excited and can't wait til September.  I bought tickets for my mom, my grandparents, and I to go see the Tennessee Vols vs. Oklahoma Sooners at Neyland Stadium!!!  I am a football FANATIC, and this will be our first home game, night game, and the *most likely* the first time we have been ranked in 7 years!

This picture is a bit blurry, but what it represents is amazing.  Peyton, a Vol4Life, came to TN to pay his respects to the 5 fallen Marines in Chattanooga.  I am proud to associate Peyton with our state & university!



I had dinner & drinks with some friends from school this week, great time getting together!  If you're in SC, TN, or GA I highly recommend Carolina Ale House - great drinks & yummy food!

Happy Friday ya'll!

12 comments:

  1. I'm new to 3rd grade so look forward to following your blog to get some great tips! :) I love the Harry Potter books! I need to reread them again!
    Katie
    Inquiring Our Way Through Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the 3rd grade position, that's a great year since the children are starting to transition from the little kids to big kids. I enjoy re-reading books because it helps me pick up on the little clues the author drops that are hard to pick up on the first time. Also, with HP, I have watched the movies so many times when they come on ABC Family, that I forgot some of the real plot lines in the books!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great week of reading. I just finished summer school and I can't wait to read some books for fun that are on my list. The Teach Like a Pirate book is next on my list. Looks like a great read. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on finishing up summer school, I thought about teaching it this year, but declined due to some family vacations. I highly recommend Teach Like a Pirate, Dave's style of writing is terrific and keeps me engaged the whole time I'm reading!

      Delete
  3. Have you read Wonder by R.J. Palacio? It is a great read aloud for 4th, 5th, or 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read Wonder, it's an amazing book! I would do more with it in 4th, except it is "reserved" by our 5th grade teachers, therefore I'm not allowed to teach / read it

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! I've heard so much about Teach like a Pirate-- I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do, it's a great book! I just finished today and hope to write my new post this weekend.

      Delete
  5. Love the Ale House & Peyton!!! I am so glad you are going to blog about Teach Like a Pirate. I wanted to read it this summer but haven't gotten a chance, I hear it is great! :) -Kristen
    Moore to Learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peyton is the best isn't he? I just finished Teach Like a Pirate today, so I hope to get my new blog post out this weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love rereading my favorite books! When my kiddos were little, we listened to the Harry Potter series on audio. The narrator was amazing, and when they were old enough, they fell in love with them all over again by reading them on their own.

    Can't wait to explore your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually listened to the audio version, I hadn't thought about it 'til now. I might try that the next time I re-read them! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete